Monday, February 7, 2011

My Secret Mission

So last week I completed my secret mission. I went to Alameda to Coast Guard Island, which is beautiful by the way… to meet the commandant’s wife. For those of you who don’t know what or who a commandant is… his wife is like the first lady of the Coast Guard. She was beautiful poised but yet seemed very down to earth. I really liked her and am very thankful for the opportunity to meet her. While at the conference I was representing group Humboldt Bay. We talked about all types of issues military spouses face… things from Jobs to childcare. I am going to try and take a poll from the spouses at our group in the coming months to see what we can do to improve these areas.
If you are a Coast Guard spouse and haven’t checked out: www.Worklife4you.com it is a great resource for all types of things that go on in our everyday lives. I am very pleased with the website. In the future there will be a link added that is just for military spouses that will be a little bit easier to navigate…. Now on to some key points that were discussed in our meeting….
1.       Housing-
2.       Childcare- The Coast Guard is currently working on expanding childcare benefits to help more families and provide more resources.
3.       Jobs- If you have a specific need please contact me and I can assist you in this. There are certain benefits that apply within 2 years of you reporting to a new duty station.
4.       Spouses night out- This is a great way to meet new people reporting to the station and meet new friends. If you haven’t gone to this I definitely recommend it. There are some great ladies that have lots of experience with the military and may be able to assist you in finding resources within our area.
5.       Ombudsman’s- Will be given more training
These are just some of the many things to get excited about. The Commandant’s wife also brought us cookies, which was a great ice breaker. Her ability to speak and listen well really impressed me. I am doing my best to help spouses as much as possible. Let me know if you need anything even if it may seem silly. J

No comments:

Post a Comment